Are You Going To The 2008 SBC Annual Meeting?

SBC Annual MeetingNext month (June 10-11), I’ll be going to my first Southern Baptist Convention Annual Meeting. This year it’s hosted in Indianapolis, about 2 hours north of SBTS. This post is your chance to connect with other Said at Southern readers who are planning to attend.

So, are you going?

This entry was posted in Southern Baptist Convention - SBC. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Are You Going To The 2008 SBC Annual Meeting?

1. Will Jackson says:

Tony, I’ll be there with a couple of guys from my church as well. We are actually going up for part of Crossover Indy that weekend and staying for the Pastor’s Conference. We signed up for the Founder’s Breakfast and are helping the school with the Southern lunch. You need to sign up for that if you haven’t already! See you there.

Will Jacksons last blog post..Baptist Hymnal 2008 – update

2. Tony,

This is my first convention as well. My wife and I will be arriving May 7 so we can enjoy the Pastor’s and Pastor’s Wife’s Conferences and the Annual Meeting. All of us should get together somehow. I am not an alumni, so I won’t be at the lunch.

Martin Pitchers last blog post..As I Write

3. This will be my second convention that I am attending. I pastor in Bedford, IN, so I’ll be driving up each day. It’s only an hour away for me. I’ll be at the pastors conference all the way to the end.

Michael Wilhites last blog post..THE CURE FOR ANXIETY

4. I’m planning to go for at least one day, with a group of guys from our church, Auburndale Baptist in Louisville. It will be my first convention too.

Matt Crawfords last blog post..The Necessity of Rooms

5. Todd Benkert says:

I will be going as a messenger from my church. I think this will be a great Convention.

On what I think are the two big issues, here are my thoughts. On the next SBC President: I look forward to finding out who will be elected. I know who I will vote for, but think there are several good candidates who would serve the Convention well. On the resolutions on regenerate church membership: There are at least two resolutions that have been submitted. I think that one of the two will come out of committee, or better, the committee will write one of their own. I do not see how the Convention does not ultimately pass one of them, regardless whether or not the committee puts one forth. It will be quite interesting to see how things play out and could be a great demonstration of Robert’s Rules. The resolutions are different enough (Ascol’s dealing more specifically with the issue of church discipline) that I would support passing both resolutions, however, I do not think that will occur.

In any case, it will be an exciting Convention. That’s way more than you were probably looking for, so I will leave you with my final two cents for my fellow SAS readers: (1) Pray for the Convention. (2) Go to the Convention.

See you there :-),
    Todd

6. Todd Benkert says:

See you there :-),
    Todd

Todd Benkerts last blog post..Reflecting Christ’s Love

Work schedule and vacation schedule do not allow for my attendance.

Scotts last blog post..Of Ministers Caught in Sin

8. Dave Samples says:

I’ll be leaving the beautiful state of Colorado to make the journey to Indy. Anyone staying at the Holiday Inn Express?

Dave Sampless last blog post..A Contract With The Southern Baptist Convention – Part 1

9. David R. Brumbelow says:

Tony,
    I’ve been to many SBCs over the years but it looks like I will have to miss this one.

I’m glad to hear of you guys who are attending your first SBC. It’s a great way to further your education about Baptists. You’ll enjoy the preaching, singing, fellowship. Make sure to hear the older, well known preachers; you’ll enjoy telling young preachers about it when you’re an old guy like me.

The business may not be as exciting, but it’s important too. Remember to tell someone in Indianapolis about Jesus. I pray you all have a great time.

By the way, don’t forget your credentials. And make sure you vote for the right one for president :-).
    David R. Brumbelow

10. Chris Funkhouser says:

I and some friends from both Southern and NOBTS will be going this year. It is my 2nd convention, and a good chance to get away with ministry friends.

I’m going with my pastor and maybe some people from church. We’re excited to have it this close, although next year will be even closer. It turns out he’s already reserved our spot for the Founder’s breakfast.

Last year, I watched just about ever session on the internet. So, I’m glad to be going in person.

I don’t have any idea who to support for president. It seems like most of the candidates have strong points. I’m still a little disappointed that Mohler isn’t going to do it.

12. Will Jackson says:

David, you said “Don’t forget your credentials” in your post. This is also my first convention so what are the credentials that I don’t need to forget?

Will Jacksons last blog post..Baptist Hymnal 2008 – update

13. My wife and I will be going as messengers from Kosmosdale Baptist Church.

Andrew Lindseys last blog post.."Gay marriage" and the Gospel

14. David R. Brumbelow says:

Will,
    I was referring to the credentials you need to be registered as a voting messenger. Used to, everyone had to remember to bring their Messenger Card. You could get them by mail or at your Association office. If not that, a letter or even a bulletin from your church showing you (by name) are a duly elected messenger from your church. The Messenger Card was best to have, and got you through the registration line quickest. Invariably someone would forget it. I’m pretty sure you can still register that way.

Of course, now you young guys can just register for the convention online; but you have to have your church ID number, etc. If you do it this way, just carefully follow their directions; it will save a lot of hassle. I think you can do it at sbc.net.

Anyway, when packing for your trip just make sure you have what you need to register and get your ballots to vote at the convention. Then – hang on to those ballots! The Registration Line should be somewhere close to the entrance to the convention. (You may also need photo ID.)
    David R. Brumbelow
    PS – When you pick up your ballots, ask for another set of ballots for your friend who couldn’t come. They won’t do it, but it’s fun to get them upset about it :-).

David,
    Thanks for the tips, especially that last bit of mischief. :-)

16. bryant owens says:

I’ll be there!! Come by to see me at the Legacy Center Booth located close to the SBTS booth.

17. Ken Schmidt says:

I will be going to my first SBC Convention. I do not have an SBC background, so I am excited to see firsthand how the SBC works. I will be part of Dr. Moore’s class, I think we are on our own up there, so if any of you guys are getting together, I would love to get in on the fun and discussions.

Ken Schmidts last blog post..Cave Hill

18. I am excited to attend this (my first) Convention. I expect it to be a most enjoyable experience except for the fact that I have booked a 300 (plus 15% something or other) dollar room at the Marriot. This is of course an advertisement to rent half of this 2 person room. You must be 1) a guy, and 2) a “narrow tent 5 pointer.” jk on #2……actually all you need is 150 bucks. :)