Blog Madness Final Four!

We’ve gone to overtime baby!

[poll=25]

blog-madness.jpg

It’s taken two long weeks to get here, but we’ve finally narrowed down the field of Southern Seminary related bloggers down to four. The comments, the hypehypehypehypehypehypehype, and voting have been intense. I want to thank all you guys that linked over and made this weird idea worth doing.

The first two rounds resulted in 2181 votes. Here is how this round will work:

• There are four blogs left, you can vote for only one
  • I’ve re-ordered the field based on total votes
  • The voting will close on Saturday night (4/5/08)
  • The poll is set to limit votes from the same IP address. This will only affect you if you are sharing an internet connection.

Choose your vote wisely. Here are a few questions to help clarify which blog deserves your vote.

• Which blog consistently glorifies Christ with its content? Does the blogger express a transparent love for God?
  • Which blog encourages other believers? Does the blogger express a transparent love for others?
  • If you could only read one of these blogs for the next year, which would it be?
  • Which blog is the most helpful for the average pastor or seminary student?

Make your case. The comments are open for you to play the pundit. Enthusiastic support (and self-promotion) are welcome. Just be sure to make your case from the criteria above. You are also welcome to endorse one of the remaining blogs.

Prize for the winner. I will give the winning blogger a $50 gift certificate to Westminster Book Store. At least one of the finalists already has his books picked out.

The statistics below are gathered from Google Reader. They don’t reflect feedburner’s feed count, but they do give a ballpark of one’s readership. I’ve tried to note who has feeburner stats that aren’t counted with a ** symbol. Don’t let these stats overwhelm you. Everyone likes to pull for an underdog!

Blog Madness Final Four

1. Reformissionary (Steve McCoy – A)
    New Team Motto: “I’m giving Tim Keller books to skeptics
    Team Motto: “The free books take this to another level.

Round One Votes: 76
    Round Two Votes: 272
    Posts Per Week: 4.9
    Current blog birthday: 1/31/2005
  2. Provocations & Pantings (Timmy Brister – S)
    Team Motto: “Yes We Can! – provoke the vote.”
    Round One Votes: 80
    Round Two Votes: 191
    Posts Per Week: 9.1
    Current blog birthday: 12/31/2006 and here
  3. Power of Change (Reid S. Monaghan – S)
    Team Motto: “Every vote for the POCBlog saves a kitten…and that kitten will get to go to heaven. ”
    Round One Votes: 49
    Round Two Votes: 143
    Posts Per Week: 5.2
    Current blog birthday: 1/14/2004
  4. Kingdom People (Trevin Wax – S)
    Team Motto: “No comment.”
    Round One Votes: 72
    Round Two Votes: 108
    Subscriber Count: 129 + 71 via Feedburner
    Posts Per Week: 11.4
    Current blog birthday: 10/22/2006

[poll=24]

This entry was posted in Blogging and Writing. Bookmark the permalink.

75 Responses to Blog Madness Final Four!

For eliminated bloggers:
    Feel free to use this comment thread to negotiate a good price for your endorsements.

2. kschaub says:

Timmy, if you’ll fork over $5 of your WTS winnings, I’ll vote for you. JK. I can’t sell my vote. What would that suggest?!

kschaub’s last blog post..Nearly 6 Months of Blogging!

3. Before I begin goofing off, allow me to say that it was truly an honor to be a part of this first “Blog-Madness.” I was surprised to have made it out of the first round and even more surprised that the grassroots effort worked–sort of.

Since I finished third in voting, I would be willing to listen to offers for my endorsement! I bet I can get Sharpton and Robertson to endorse it as well seeings how they are in the mood for endorsing everything in the world these days.

Good luck to the Final Four. I wish I could have been there. However, you can’t go wrong with any of these four blogs.

Terry Delaney’s last blog post..Grocery Shopping on the Lord’s Day

4. Joe Thorn says:

So, my wife is sitting here waiting to cast her vote (after I have cast my vote) and she is unable because of the IP restriction.

Joe Thorn’s last blog post..The Full Paradigm

Joe – Sorry, I just won’t have time to hyper audit the poll logs again this week!

6. Reid says:

Terry – I would love your endorsement…but I am a risky endorsement. I am the only non Baptist in the race…an external studies student at that…it would be a radical endorsement – quite unexpected by all the pundits.
    There may be power in that diary of yours!

Also, I think you may have finished fourth overall in Round 2…A very strong showing – which makes you an honorary final four member in my mind.

7. selahV says:

just thought I’d come over and campaign for votes. :) Let’s see. I am a woman. (like that should matter). I love all of you (well, after all, I don’t love Jesus if I don’t love you). I could tell you all about my poor dog that has a paralyzed leg, but wouldn’t want you to think I’m going for the sympathy votes. Uh, I like Tony best. I do. I really do. Can’t believe he pitted me against Wade Burleson, Ed Stetzer AND Said at Southern. How’s a lady to win against such odds? That’s okay though, I really am just happy to be here. :) selahV

selahV’s last blog post..BLOWN AWAY AND TICKLED PINK~~ I MADE IT! THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

8. Do I get a sympathy vote for the most times a blog title has been mis-typed?

Paintings.
    Panties.
    Pants.

And Joe took a picture of me naked, put it on his blog, calling me “sunshine.”

Oh, and what about the Ahmedinejad look-a-like photo? Too cruel.

Timmy Brister’s last blog post..Band of Bloggers Giveaways

Reid, Reid, He’s our Man, if Reid don’t win…what will happen to all the kittens in the world?

Brother Hank’s last blog post..Birth Control: An Ensuing Dialog

Timmy – You need do do a special “self pity” post. And for the record I would trust you with nuclear weapons.

Hank – I think we all share your concern about the kittens. I am tempted to vote for Reid myself.

selahV – Thanks for stopping by, and the dog story does get a sympathy angle.

Reid – Terry can be bought, I happen to know the church that he attends was mixed (affiliated with SBC and American Baptist) for a number of years – and it may still be so!

11. Reid – Nope, finished third over all. I think 9 votes ahead of Trevin. The whole Baptist thing ain’t that big a deal. I was raised Catholic and then promptly booted from the Catholic and later the UCC (the same UCC as Obama). And, yes, I can be bought ;)

Timmy – I am just glad you were able to get panties written on a comment at Said!

This comment was brought to you by the number 40 and the letters CXVII.

Terry Delaney’s last blog post..Grocery Shopping on the Lord’s Day

12. Reid says:

Reformissionary, P&P, POC then Terry…1, 2, 3, 4. I may be missing something though.

My whole family…was Irish Catholic…until my Dad became a strong agnostic. I just love guys who use Roman Numerals!

Hank – we saved many kittens…now I am just a bit worried that we do not care about little monkeys. Richard Dawkins says those little guys are just like us…save some little monkeys friends. For the love!

13. Drew Dixon says:

Unless the rest of you offer some kind of comparable animal rescue program, Reid is going to run away with this competition–he is promising to save the kittens AND the monkeys. Can any of you top that!

Right now Reid has my support, because he has a motto we can all get behind!

Drew Dixon’s last blog post..Divorce and Remarriage (What God has Joined Together . . .)

14. Trevin Wax says:

Thanks to everyone who voted me this far.

I stand little chance behind the McCoy/Brister machine… however, I promise to review on the blog any book I buy from Westminster – thus sharing my reward with you all!

How’s that for incentive?

Trevin Wax’s last blog post..After the Boomers 5: Trends in Religious Beliefs

Trevin –

as tempting as book reviews sound…they just don’t compare to a monkey in a little pink dress

Brother Hank’s last blog post..Technology, Too, Must Have It’s Sabbath Rest

16. Yup, I did finish 4th overall–I don’t know what I was thinking other than the stuff I was on is now running out. My thought was that I finished above one of the Final Four guys. I guess now that my infallibility has been disproven by myself, I have shown that I do not deserve to be here!

17. Drew Dixon says:

Trevin, if you want EE’s support, you are going to have to offer something more substantial than offering for us to experience your book winnings vicariously through your reviews. Reid is offering to save kittens . . . KITTENS.

18. What a dilemma. How does one choose between these four? Well, I managed, but it wasn’t easy.

Martin Pitcher’s last blog post..Smal Church Conference

19. Trevin Wax says:

Sorry guys. I’m not a pet person.

I do like fish though… especially fried.

Trevin Wax’s last blog post..After the Boomers 5: Trends in Religious Beliefs

20. Bill Blair says:

Everyone should note that 2 of the final 4 blogs have come from the Nashville “conference”(extension center). I am not sure if that qualifies as a mid-major surprise, or if it shows how underrated we are down here. Nashville has a strong RPI.

Bill Blair’s last blog post..Piper on the Prosperity Gospel

21. Pingback: How to Give $50 Worth of Keller’s “The Reason for God” to Skeptics for Free « faithmaps blog

22. kschaub says:

Why do I get the feeling this thing is fixed in order to provide a fantastic finish? I get this feeling watching the NBA every once in a while. The Mavs will be up by 25 only to lose the lead for a tight finish at the end. A game of runs? Or, fixed? I don’t know.

What does this mean? It means Power of Change should be ready for a comeback!

kschaub’s last blog post..Divorce and Remarriage (What God has Joined Together . . .)

After one day, I am surprised how Power of Change has built a commanding lead. Just looking at his numbers from Round #1 an #2, it seems that he will is peaking at the right time!

I guess it’s the monkey and kittens.

McCoy has linked over, pledging to give his books to lost people!

Brister loves the drama of the comeback, but does he have one more rally left in that 3rd shift soul?

Trevin is a little shy to link over, but maybe he could get a celebrity endorsement?

24. Pingback: Pastor Joe Thorn - Vote for Reformissionary

25. Reid says:

I have friends…not many bloggers though…that is where I am going to get killed. It has begun…Faith Maps, Thorn…

26. scott says:

I voted for Steve McCoy aka Reformissionary. He promised that if I voted for him he would dump Joe Thorn and let me be his new best friend.

Does this meet the criteria?

27. Steve McCoy says:

A vote for me is a vote to be my best friend.

Steve McCoy’s last blog post..NPM ’08: Fire and Ice

28. mayor says:

Steve McCoy gets my vote. But if this was a real election, I’d be able to vote more than once. Go bro!

29. tom ascol says:

I didn’t even know I was in the tournament until yesterday! Talk about being a sleeper. Tony, I resent the implication that I can be bought! Neither I, nor my votes are for sale!! (I might be interested in talking to someone about a lease-option arrangement, however)

Tom – You Florida people have real estate in your blood.

31. Steve McCoy says:

This isn’t a good time to have real estate in your blood.

Steve McCoy’s last blog post..VOTE!

32. tom ascol says:

Tony, actually these days we Floridians tend to have blood in our real estate. It’s painful.

33. becky says:

awe, when you said “I like fish… fried” I cried a little… Just because I thought of someone’s pet fish being fried… :(

34. Pingback: VOTE for Reid! « Provocations & Pantings

35. Vote for Reid! Vote for Reid! Vote for Reid!

36. Reid says:

Timmy, I am humbled by your support…I have been away from the net for a couple of days – barely time to check in on e-mail. I was in Lville for a meeting with pastors/church planters on Wednesday at Sojourn. Great stuff with Paul Tripp.

Now in the blustery state of NJ looking for a house…a house from which to launch a church with reformation, baptistic convictions and robust cultural missiology.

Let’s shock the world…perhaps Trevin could bring the Kingdom people to the dance?

Finally, every should check out God’s Mac podcast - the tech/ministry labors being done by Gabe Taviano – another man standing with us to try and shock the power brokers of the blog world…

37. Adam Winters says:

So, can we just transfer all Timmy’s votes to Reid?

38. Steve McCoy says:

Hahaha! No.

Steve McCoy’s last blog post..URGENT!!!

39. Adam,

Great idea. I will freely give up all my votes to the cause of Mr. Monaghan.

Timmy Brister’s last blog post..VOTE for Reid!

40. Pingback: Blog Madness: Prize From Eisenbrauns | Said at Southern Seminary

41. Gabe says:

Tell me you guys shut the voting down at 11:15 pm EST when we were rallying Reid to a victory? Down by 70 votes this morning and within 5 votes and this happens? Hmmmmm.

42. Gabe says:

May I also mention that all of the votes that I rallied for Reid this evening were perfectly legal. Thanks to our podcast, Twitter, Facebook and blog. Hopefully this sorts out to be a fair finish?

43. POWER OF CHANGE ROCKS!!! KITTENS need to be saved too!

oh REID ROCKS TOO for that matter…
    i guess that is all i gots.

It’s all over folks. Reid made a great rally – he didn’t loose, he just ran out of clock. I’ll see if I can round up a consolation prize.

45. Gabe says:

Ran out of clock? Where does it mention when the clock stopped? According to my clock that is still ticking, it’s still April 5th?

46. Gabe says:

I think you might want to think about handing the consolation prize to Reformissionary? Looking forward to hearing a fair explanation on this one.

47. Lisa says:

I vote for #3

48. Recount! Recount!

SAS disenfranchising the voters from across the planet. Reid, you are the winner in our books, ole’ pal.

Timmy Brister’s last blog post..Who Is Jeremiah Burroughs?

49. Gabe says:

Recount? The problem here is that the voting booth closed at approximately 11:15 pm (with 45 minutes left)? How can you recount votes that weren’t allowed in?

Look at the voter, Lisa, who even posted a vote comment before time really ran out, lol. I’m sure Reformissionary can’t leave the ring with the belt on?

Here’s the deal. I had 20 voters that were rallying just as time was cut off. For some reason I didn’t like them replying and asking what was up?