Commit to Integrity

Dr. Bill Henard of Porter Memorial Baptist Church in Lexington, KY, preached from Genesis 39:1-9 today in Alumni Chapel. The sermon challenged us that if we do anything in ministry we should commit to being a person of integrity.

Sermon: Genesis 39:1-9

Most ministers who lose their positions lose them not because of a problem with theology. Instead, they lose their positions because of a lack of integrity. Dr. Henard gave us three ways in which we can better equip ourselves to live a life of integrity. First, we need to know when to say no. We must know in advance what our boundaries are before the temptation arises. Second, we must not compromise with the temptations. Because we are tempted daily, we need to be on guard and prepared to fight the battle every day. Finally, we know from Scripture that God rewards the faithfulness of His people. Don’t lose your ministry over a temptation that is not worth a nickel.As I sat in chapel today, I realized that this message was speaking to the hearts of many in the congregation. At more than a few points, you could have heard a pin drop if it were not for Dr. Henard speaking. Are you living a life of integrity? Have you compromised on even the smallest of test (i.e., saying you read so much in a class when you know you did not)?

Finally, Dr. Henard said one other thing that I would like to draw attention to. He said that he believes what will kill the SBC is the arrogance of the ministers. If your theology causes you to be arrogant, then you had better rethink your theology. So I ask you, is your theology (or education) causing you to become arrogant? Do you think you are better than the common layperson because you have a great theological education? I think we should all take a deep look at our hearts to see where we stand.

Sermon About Integrity

You can download the sermon here when it is uploaded later this afternoon. You can read a fuller treatment here. You can also read Andrew Lindsey’s prayer response for this week’s chapel services here.

This entry was posted in Chapel Blogging and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Commit to Integrity

I may be biting off more than I can chew here, but it wouldn’t be the first time, and won’t be the last…

Am I the only one who feels like Christ and the Cross where not invited to this morning’s sermon outline?

Brother Hank’s last blog post..A Declaration: In Such An Hour Of Crisis

2. Pingback: In the Blogosphere « Kingdom People

Thanks for the heads up about this chapel. I will be listening to the audio.

Scott’s last blog post..McDonald’s signs onto ?gay? agenda

4. Tim says:

“Brother Hank”:

I listened to the message this morning via iTunes and I am clueless as to where you get your idea that Christ and the Cross were not invited to the chapel message. The message was on Joseph and Potiphar’s Wife, a passage that deals with the integrity of Joseph. The message centered on having a life of integrity, which is all about being Christlike and Christ-honoring in all aspects of life, but specifically, to the audience present, in the life of the minister.

I guess I’m just seeking clarification on your accusation/insinuation. That’s all…nothing more or less.

Thanks in advance for your clarification.

Tim-

I appreciate your comment. And let me just say, I am no preacher. I’m just a lowly 1st year seminarian that needs just as much grace as the next guy, even though neither one of us deserves it. So when I comment on this sermon, please understand that I do so very hesitantly, and yet I will do so very zealously because I’m under the assumption that Christian preaching should be about Christ.

I listened to Dr. Henard’s message again, just to make sure, and I’m almost positive that he never even mentions the name of Christ. Not once. Not even in the closing prayer, as he prays “in your name”. This may sound hyper-critical, but let’s get a little perspective here.

That sermon could have just as well have been preached by a Jewish Rabbi, with no qualms. It’s focus was not the Cross, but moralism. And that troubles me. And frankly, I’m a little surprised that no one else seems to think that this is an issue worth bringing up.

I’m not saying Dr. Henard rejects Biblical Theology, but I am saying that his sermon was a very poor example of it. And I feel it is necessary to remind my seminary brethren that what they saw last Thursday “is not how it’s done.” The contrast between what Goldsworthy was promoting the week before, and what Henard was preaching on Thursday was too much to take quietly.

Does that make sense?

Brother Hank’s last blog post..Witholding the Gospel (of Children) From Ourselves

6. Drew says:

Joseph refused Potipher’s wife because he refused to do this great act of wickedness and “sin against God” (Gen. 39:9). Joseph refused to commit adultery because he knew it was a sin not just against Potipher but against Almighty God.

This would have been a good time to bring up the gospel. That we in and of ourselves are slaves to sin. That apart from the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives, giving us the desire to please God instead of the flesh.

I don’t want to get nit-picky and certainly I know that everyone doesn’t have to jump to the gospel as quickly as I would when preaching the OT, but I am afraid that I agree with Hank here, Jesus was not mentioned in this sermon. It was a sermon about commitment to moral integrity, a commitment we should all make but will all fail in unless we are abiding in Christ who has called us to repentance and freed us from slavery to sin.

I mean nothing personal in saying this, I merely want to encourage brothers in Christ to preach the gospel in season and out.

Drew’s last blog post..Sufjan and the Old Covenant

7. Matt says:

I agree with the comments of both Hank and Drew. This sermon was a far cry from the biblical theology-infused preaching that is taught in SBTS classrooms. Christ must be mentioned if a sermon is to be considered a Christian sermon.

One further comment: Dr. Henard at one point seemed to say that we avoid sin simply because we don’t want to suffer the consequences of our sin. Isn’t true holiness more than this? Even the worst sinner doesn’t want to suffer the consequences of his sin. The promise of the new covenant in Christ is a new heart that longs for holiness and hates sin. The Christian should flee from sin not simply because of the negative consequences it would bring, but because it dishonors his Lord who died to save him. The only way a desire is ever overcome is by replacing it with a stronger desire. In the regenerate heart, the desire to honor and please God overcomes the desire for sin. This should be our motivation for holiness.