Video: Giuliani, Romney and Huckabee on the Bible

Watch three leading Republican candidates for President answer the question, “Do you believe everything in the Bible?”

HT: Kevin Hash
You can also read my attempt at punditry at The Kummeropolis.

This entry was posted in Presidential Election. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Video: Giuliani, Romney and Huckabee on the Bible

1. Jason Vaughn says:

I just wished Huckabee would have taken the opportunity to talk about Christ as he talked about the most important things of the Bible

2. Pingback: Another Video For Your Voting Conscience « Reflections From A Husband, Father, and Pastor

Huckabee’s answer was encouraging given the context for being asked such a question. Certainly being set against Guiliani and Romney and their answers, Huckabee gave the better more concise answer.

Tony, did his answer sound like anybody in particular you and I have heard lectures on recently? {wink}

Jason – Good point. Does anyone know if he has revoked his ordination?

Scott – You are a true disciple of Barth.

Tony, not a disciple…just someone who sees outside the expected box.

6. G. F. McDowell says:

When the Youtube guy said, “This exact book” and pointed the spine toward the camera, I figured he meant the King James version. I’d have something to say about John 8 and the end of Mark in That exact book.

That guy’s video made evangelicals look crazy, and the lighting was really offensive.

8. Matt Coley says:

Hey guys! I am a student at Criswell College in Dallas, TX and I have a question for you guys. Lately I have been extremely disinterested in politics and the American government, still I constantly have fellow Christians telling me that I should vote. So my question is: Is there any biblical precedence that a follower of Christ and a citizen of the Kingdom of God should have to vote?
    This has been a struggle for me and I would appreciate some feedback from those wiser than I. Thanks!

9. Rob says:

Tony,
    THAT’s the big deal! The guy asking the question (call me cynical) was given the air time because Christians came off looking like kooks. “This Book!” (read the KJV Holy Bible!) “Specifically THIS Book.”

I’m sure there were other questioners who had similar questions, but Dr. Wild-eyes made evangelicals look crazy. Point Hillary…or Obama…or Pat Paulson…anyone opposed to the “religious right.”

10. G F McDowell says:

Matt Coley: I view taking the time to know the issues and the candidates as a form of submission to our democratic form of government. Really, in my mind, it comes down to the best way to fear God and honour the King when there is no King per se. Yield unto democracy that which is democracy’s. Then it is our job to be content with the result, and PRAY for the new office holder. I’m firing from the hip with some of my reasoning why it is so important for Christians to vote.

If this were England in 1070, it would be our biblical duty to bow our knee to the king. Today in a liberal democracy, it is our biblical duty to vote and submit ourselves to the result.

Disclaimer: I have a double-major in Political Science and History

11. Matt: I’ve thought through similar disinterest and have determined that if I have a legal opportunity to cast a vote that may help end legalized child-murder (i.e., legal abortions), I do have a moral obligation to cast such a vote.

12. Pingback: Buring Bridges & Political As Usual 12/4 Roundup | Said At Southern Seminary

13. Dan Thomas says:

Matt: While the passage below doesn’t specifically exhort us to vote, I believe it does point out that our Governments are from God. How blessed are we to be able to participate in such a gift as a “free” society. Truly others would kill for (and unfortunately still die for) what we take for granted. Romans 13: 1Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.

2Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves.

3For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same;

4for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil.

5Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of wrath, but also for conscience’ sake.

6For because of this you also pay taxes, for rulers are servants of God, devoting themselves to this very thing.

7Render to all what is due them: tax to whom tax is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor.

8Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.

14. Matt: The church’s mission to spread the gospel should never be confused with political involvement. There’s a big difference. And there is no biblical command for Christians to “vote” or get politically involved. Paul does not say, for example, in his epistles, “Do all you can do to reform the authorities to the Kingdom of Christ.” Paul’s agenda was to spread the gospel, not take over the political sphere. Jesus said his kingdom was not of this world.

HOWEVER, the Christian’s duty should never be reduced in such a way as to exclude all forms of political involvement. Christian duty can overlap with polotical involvement, and does. Voting is the easiest and simplist way to love your neighbor—–by doing what you can do to make the situtation of your fellow neighbors and future of those not yet born, the best it could be.

If we Christians didn’t vote, we may loose more than political power—in addition to the abortion issue already mentioned, the political right to talk about homosexuality in the pulpit could become a “hate crime.” The right to engage people in the public square with the gospel could become “religious harrasement,” etc. You get the idea. So—Love your fellow Christians (those alive today and those whose future MAY depend on today’s voting polls) and love your neighbors alike——VOTE!

Even if politics is intimidating to you, and it all seems complicated to follow, at least ask Evangelicals who you trust who you should vote for and why, then make a decision and vote.

Ask yourself: If you were born in America in the year 2100, and by that time the preaching of the gospel was outlawed (don’t think it couldn’t happen) and you had to risk your freedom just to tell your neighbor about Jesus—–and all this could have been avoided had your parents generation VOTED, you would say: “Gee thanks Guys, now we get to go to jail for our faith. Nice Lookin’ out.”

We should make pin’s that say: “Love Your Neighbor: VOTE.” “Love Your Children: VOTE”