I was privileged to get to know Dr. Lawless this semester. I was greatly encouraged by his humility, zeal for evangelism and godliness. He is Dean of the Billy Graham School of Missions, Evangelism and Church Growth at Southern Seminary.
Dr. Lawless has written several books including Membership Matters and Discipled Warriors. You can find his books on Amazon: Chuck Lawless. The Towers has also written a faculty profile on him.
This is the most important interview we’ve done yet.
This interview was recorded 9/10/2007. Dr. Lawless did a great job and said some really important things. Here is a brief list of questions:
- How would you summarize the Gospel?
- How do you appraise the current state of the American church?
- How can churches be more effective in their evangelism?
- Why are baptisms declining in the Southern Baptist Convention?
- What do you think is the future of the Church Growth movement?
- What do you expect the American church will be like in 20 years?
About Dr. Lawless from the Southern Seminary website:
William Walker Brookes Professor of Evangelism and Church Growth (1997); Dean, Billy Graham School of Missions, Evangelism and Church Growth; Director of Professional Doctoral Studies
* B.S., Cumberland College
* M.Div., Ph.D., The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
Dr. Lawless brings to Southern Seminary wide experience in church work, having served as pastor of two different congregations in Ohio. He also has served as a Lecturer in English at the University of Cincinnati. He has contributed articles to denominational periodicals and written Sunday School curriculum for LifeWay Christian Resources of the Southern Baptist Convention. Dr. Lawless is the author of five works, including Membership Matters, Spiritual Warfare, Discipled Warriors, and Making Disciples through Mentoring. He is a member of the Academy for Evangelism in Theological Education, the American Society for Church Growth, and the Evangelical Missiological Society.