This week’s roundup begins with the Doctrine That Shall Not Be Named. I am pleased present blogging on the scarlet letter “C” that has been branded to many a Southern Seminary chest.
When in the same chapel semester we had John Piper urging us not to answer the call to a new church and immediately do a sermon series on TULIP, and Danny Akin warning that we need to be upfront about our theological convictions, it is clear that our existence as Calvinists in the SBC is frought. Southern Seminary bloggers are not all Calvinists, but many are. Here are some of the better examples:
That “C” Word
- Gordan “Knuckles” Runyan of the Reformed Mafia
- Joshua “Slugger” Hitchcock of the Reformed Mafia reviews Laurence Vance‘s book, The Other Side of Calvinism. The fact that Vance’s book is self-published frankly tells me all I need to know about its contents.
- Brent Thomas issues a call for charity in the ongoing discussion of Calvinism in the SBC.
- Mike Gross spies a lack of integrity in leaders who slanderously dismiss Calvinists as anti-evangelism and anti-missions.
- Doug Smith examines the twofold truths of God’s sovereignty and man’s responsibility.
- Elder Eric of the SATIRE site Tom in the Box presents 72 verses that simply can’t mean what they say if Calvinism is unbiblical.
Phew! Having gotten that scarlet letter redacted from my chest, we move on to the unpopular topic of Church Discipline.
- Brent Thomas blogs in defense of church discipline.
- Barry Joslin insists that church discipline matters.
- Tony Kummer has done a redaction of his own in response to a WSJ story on church discipline.
- Dr. Hershael York calls the Wall Street Journal story on church discipline a hatchet job.
- Denny Burk blogs on the WSJ church discipline article.
- Timmy Brister has compiled an excellent bibliography of resources on church discipline and regenerate church membership ahead of the True Church conference.
That Northern Vice & Some Other Topics
From there, this roundup can only go up in popularity. Southern Seminarians on other heady topics:
- First-time father Stephen Newell has posted some interesting facts about Alcohol to his blog.
- The newly hirsute Owen Strachan [I wonder how Bethany feels about it? -RR] has written a new
perspseries entitled Things Christians Overlook:
- Reid Monaghan throws us a theology of hands.
- Peter Beck has a three-part series on revival.
- Bryan Lilly shares his thoughts on premillennialism.
- Joshua Martin has a good word on why we shouldn’t shrink from the God of the Old Testament.
Southern Baptist Numa Numa
You know you want to watch this again. HT: SBC Voices