Forum: School Is Out, What Will You Do Now?

It didn’t take long for my wife to ask, “Now that your classes are over, what will you do with all your extra time?” If I was a handy kind of guy, then I would suspect some kind of honey-do-list behind that question. But I’m not, and there wasn’t.

It did get me thinking about making the most of my Summer break. I will have a class in July, but should still have some time (and energy) to balance a few other projects. This sounds like a good topic to kick around here, I might even get some new ideas.  So, leave a comment below and join the conversation.  Also, check out what Terry Delaney wrote about “Quality Down Time” at Going to Seminary.

What will you do now that Seminary is out for the Summer?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Forum: School Is Out, What Will You Do Now?

1. Todd Benkert says:

If the Lord permits, here are my summer plans. In chronological order:

Indy 500, Disney World, Southern Baptist Convention, defend my dissertation, move to Michigan, and all the while keep up with “Said at Southern.”

Have a blessed summer,
    Todd

Todd Benkerts last blog post..Reflecting Christ’s Love

2. You gonna be rooting for Danica at the 500?

Terry Delaneys last blog post..Giving Honor to My Wife on the Lord’s Day

3. What will I do this summer:
    Spend more time with my spouse
    Spend more time with 0-5yr olds (work)
    Redesign and refocus my blog
    Take lots of Naps
    Read stuff that’s not classwork that I’ve wanted to read
    Spend time songwriting
    Spend more time practicing piano and guitar
    Take 3-4 summer classes

Julie Halitzkas last blog post..Summer and Fall Classes

4. Noah Braymen says:

Working, taking classes, and reading! It should be a good one!

Noah Braymens last blog post..Dissed

Summer gets busy at church, especially with Bible school, and Upward Soccer. We’re also having baby #4 and celebrating anniversary #10 in August.

I have an impossible stack of books to read or at least skim so I can put them away. Not to mention the reading for my Summer class.

Oh, and vacation, our garden, never ending mowing and the SBC in Indy.

6. I haven’t really given much thought about what I am going to be doing this summer. Lord willing, I will not be moving again. As for general stuff my wife and I are trying to get our house on a schedule. I have a list of books I want to read (of course) and am seeking God’s will in a couple avenues of ministry that have been presented to me as of late. Other than that, blogging is taking off like wildfire so I guess I will be spending a good amount of time doing that!

Terry Delaneys last blog post..A New Era in the Delaney House

7. Terry Lange says:

We are going on vacation tomorrow for two weeks in Florida. Spend time with my wife and son. Read some of the books that I set aside while doing seminary classwork. Work some overtime to get ahead financially. Enjoy not being in class for a few months.

Terry Langes last blog post..On the eve of graduation

Is anyone taking NT in July with Dr. Cook? I was just checking the syllabus and it’s only tests and reading. Of course, it’s a lot of reading and tests during J-Terms are brutal. But no paper hanging over your head makes the Summer just that much better.

9. Will Jackson says:

Tony, I took Cook for NT II last summer and loved it. It was alot of reading, but the tests were not all that bad.

This summer, I am mostly working trying to save money for a Christmas mission trip my wife and I are planning. Along with spending some time with my wife excersising and some housework, I hope to start to memorize Galatians using the method from the booklet by Dr. Andy Davis and maybe read one of the books we got from T4G.

10. Family time should be a top priority during summer break. Wives and children make a huge sacrifice for their husbands and daddies to go to seminary. Whatever else we do, we must make sure we’re using our summer break to get re-acquainted with family and spend much unhurried time together.

Stephen Joness last blog post..Desert flowers

11. Ken Schmidt says:

I am encouraged by the replies. My wife and I decided that we would leave a ministry position that provided for us in every way because we felt I needed to finish my M. Div. We both recognized that sacrifice would be the key word in our time in Louisville. I realize (like many of you who have replied) that my wife is an amazing godly woman who has made more sacrifices than I. Therefore, I want to spend as much time with her as possible this summer. I also want to spend time with our two boys and give her time to read, relax and rest. I will also spend the early mornings reading for summer classes and keeping up with my Greek.

I am a newcomer to this blog, thank you for the probing questions and thoughts. It is encouraging to read of other seminarians joys and struggles.

Ken Schmidts last blog post..Ken’s Summer Reading

12. Ken,

Welcome to Said! If there is anything we can do for you let us know.

Terry