Spring Reading Days Meme

Answer the questions, backtrack this post and tag five friends:

1. What are you reading on Spring reading days?
  2. What do you wish you had time to read?
  3. What have you decided NOT to read that you were assigned to read.
  4. What is one great quote from your reading?
  5. Why are you blogging? (You’re supposed to be reading!)

I tag:

Spring Reading: Meme Too!

This entry was posted in Web Links. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Spring Reading Days Meme

1. Tony, aren’t you supposed to fill it out as well?

Terry Delaney’s last blog post..Quick Time

2. Trevin Wax says:

Currently reading “Religious Literacy” by Stephen Prothero. Fascinating thesis. Also reading “The Pilgrim’s Regress” by C.S. Lewis and “The Cost of Discipleship” by Bonhoeffer.

What do I wish I were reading? I’m always reading what I want to read. None of the above books are for school. (I finished the school stuff first…)

Quote from Bonhoeffer: “The road to faith passes through obedience to the call of Jesus… Only he who believes is obedient, and only he who is obedient believes.”

For me, blogging and reading go hand in hand.

Trevin Wax’s last blog post..A Prayer Before You Preach

3. Pingback: Christ and Pop Culture | Spring What?

4. Rich Clark says:

I did mine here. Thanks for the tag!

Rich Clark’s last blog post..Spring What?

5. Dustin Benge says:

Tony –

I loved playing tag in elementary school so thanks for tagging me!

1. My Spring Reading Days have become full with so many responsibilities that I am not sure I will have time to read just for leisure. I will be preaching next Sunday, both services, so I will be in and out of technical language helps and commentaries. However, I have picked up Signs of the Spirit: An Interpretation of Jonathan Edwards’ Religious Affections by Sam Storms which has proved to be an excellent work. I am also reading through A Call to United Extraordinary Prayer by Edwards in my morning devotionals.

2. There is so much I would like to read I will never get to it all. But if I had to choose one book it would have to be Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis – I want to read it again before the movie comes out.

3. Unfortunately, I seemed to be more disciplined in my personal reading than I do in school reading. Don’t everyone act all spiritual on me and say you are any different! I plan to leave my Pastoral Ministry books on the shelf for the week. My class is not until Friday the 18th so I think I have plenty of time.

4. From Signs of the Spirit, “Those Christians who are truly most eminent and have experienced extraordinary effusions of divine grace humble themselves as little children (Matt. 18:4). They are actually more astonished at their low degree of love and their ingratitude than they are by the heights of spiritual attainment and their knowledge of God.” – Simply WONDERFUL!

5. I blog between books!

I tag my fellow comrades from Blog Maddness: Timmy, Brent, Reid, Robbie, and Hank

Happy Reading Everyone!

6. Pingback: six steps + Victoria veritatis est caritas » Spring Reading Days: To Read or Not to Read

7. 1) I am going to read for the PRC this week after I get my paper written. I was not able to finish my book from last month and I don’t have much more reading to do for the rest of the semester thankfully.

2) I wish I had time to read more biographies. I have grown to love reading about the lives of great saints from the past (Lloyd-Jones, Mueller, and others) and it seems as though they are the last books on my list to read during the semester. Maybe the summer.

3) This question can get a lot of people in trouble! I have decided to NOT read the Gonzalez book for church history 2. I do not get quizzed over it and I will know what the exam questions are so I can always look to it if I need to.

4) The greatest quote from what I have been reading is from my devotional I read every morning (Puritan Daily Devotional Chronicles). “You are happy Christians, when serious thoughts of death breed serious joy.” Robert Traill

5) I am blogging this because I can’t sleep and I can’t think to write my paper. I am blogging other times because

Terry Delaney’s last blog post..Two Meme’s (one as a contest)

Terry,
    Right, I just didn’t want to make you guys shy by posting my massive reading schedule :-)

I’m reading a few textbooks on the Philosophy of Christian Education. Plus Gleason Archer’s OT Introduction and Schultz The Old Testament Speaks.

I wish I had time to read everything, but especially the new Tom Wright book Surprised By Hope

So far, I am trying to read everything assigned.

Nothing big to quote.

Why are you blogging? It’s my lunch break and thinking helps think!

9. Reid says:

Just did so – while in class…put diligently paying attention (ironically we are now talking about Kierkegaard)

10. I was always fascinated by Kierkegaard’s “teleological suspension of the ethical . . .” :)

Timmy Brister’s last blog post..Interview with Collin Hansen, Part One

11. Reid says:

I do appreciate Kierkegaard’s willingness to wrestle with this from within Abraham’s own shoes. It is much easier for me to struggle with this as a theologian with the big picture in mind…Abraham reasoned that God would raise his son from the dead…which shows that he actually was looking to obey God and kill Isaac. Assuming Abraham was human like me (yet the knight of faith as SK put it) this had to be a terrible weight on the conscience. Or maybe faith freed him of his conscience in that moment? I doubt this.

I bet you $5 Karl Barth could take down Kierkegaard with a choke hold…

Any takers?

Brother Hank’s last blog post..Beholding Beauty

No gambling, except with Monopoly money or for coffee at Founders.

I think I read that Barth was drafted into the German Army and even trained some before WWII ended.

14. Reid says:

As long as it is a purely actualized $5 bill…whose existence flowed from Christology. OK, I need to get to work.

15. I got my money on the masked guy in the corner frothing all over himself (Nietzche) telling everyone they are crazy for betting money on Barth taking down Kierkegaard. I mean we all know Kierkegaard is the master of the figure four leg lock and he is not afraid to use it!

Terry Delaney’s last blog post..Two Meme’s (one as a contest)

16. Hank,

Of course Barth could. Have you seen pics of Kierkegaard? His contemporaries are like some of the Boyce boys wearing girlie jeans and shirts two sizes too small for them.

I say Barth vs. Carl Henry. Henry was “uneasy” before any of us were “restless.” ;)

Timmy Brister’s last blog post..Interview with Collin Hansen, Part One

17. Pingback: Julie Halitzka » Said at Southern Reading Days Meme

18. You do realize Tony that you are going to get everyone who does this Meme of yours in trouble with question 3 if most answer it honestly? Just curious.

Terry Delaney’s last blog post..Going to the Park

Ministry of Mischief :-)

20. Reid says:

Owen’s reply is longish…and good. Just to be on record…Owen Strachan has now called me:

punchy – having punch : forceful, spirited, vivid, vibrant, vigorous
    snarky – crotchety, snappish, sarcastic, impertinent, or irreverent in tone or manner

After reading the dictionary I cannot tell if he is insulting me as too low brow for his sensibilities. Yet after reading an urban dictionary definition page for snarky…it seems perhaps a nice compliment.

I am guessing my friendship with Owen is destined to be lived in a string of ambiguous adjectives. I feel the love.

21. What are you reading on Spring reading days?

Paul: In Fresh Perspective by N.T. Wright
    Jesus as the Fulfilment of the Temple in the Gospel of John by Paul M. Hoskins
    The Right Doctrine From the Wrong Texts? by G. K. Beale
    Reading Paul by Gorman
    The Testimony of the Beloved Disciple by Bauckham
    Seeing the World by Bockmuehl

What do you wish you had time to read?

Slaves, Women & Homosexuals: Exploring the Hermeneutics of Cultural Analysis by William J. Webb
    New Testament and The People of God by N.T. Wright
    The Gagging of God by D.A. Carson
    Truth or Consequences by Erickson

What have you decided NOT to read that you were assigned to read.

Hmmmm…. I DON’T KNOW. Maybe it is laziness.

What is one great quote from your reading?

“Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent” (From the Gospel of John: 17:3)

Why are you blogging? (You’re supposed to be reading)

Sometimes I need to relax my brain. The way I do that is by writing a post.

Celucien Joseph’s last blog post..Noll’s lecture on Race, Religion, and American Politics

22. Pingback: Reading Days . . . More Like Lame Days! « elect exiles

23. Pingback: Commonplaces » Blog Archive » Meme-ography and Spring Reading Days

24. Joseph Gould says:

1. What are you reading on Spring reading days?

Very little. Outside of dealing with a sinus infection all week, I am preparing a sermon for Sunday and writing a 20 page paper for Dr. Wills. I’ve read some commentaries and glanced over some Herschel Hobbs stuff I read earlier in the semester.

2. What do you wish you had time to read?

“Deconstructinng Evangelicalism” by D. G. Hart and “The American Evangelical Story” by Doug Sweeney.

3. What have you decided NOT to read that you were assigned to read.

Nothing is due to be read by any certain point this semester, so I’m not neglecting anything this week.

4. What is one great quote from your reading?

Herschel H. Hobbs: “Ralph, you are not a heretic. You are a poor writer.”

Ralph H. Elliott: “I would rather you would call me a heretic.”

5. Why are you blogging? (You’re supposed to be reading!)

Because I just finished my sermon and wanted a break.

Joseph Gould’s last blog post..Spurgeon, too, Stood on Shoulders