I bought my first Mp3 player in 2004. This makes me a late adapter, but I have been listening to audio books, sermons and the Bible on cassette tapes since my teenage years. Then in the late 1990′s, I began listening to sermons online. I had a bookmark collection titled ‘weekly listening’ on Netscape. This list grew to include reformed standards like the White Horse Inn, John MacArthur’s Grace To You and R.C. Spoul’s Renewing Your Mind. Since this was all streaming in Real Audio format I was tied to the computer. The resent profusion of free Mp3 resources has been a great blessing in my life. You can even set up to download new Mp3 via podcast managers such as iTunes.
Mp3 sermons and lectures are one excellent way for pastors to find encouragement for their work. Time and again I go back to these resources to stir up my love for the Gospel and the Gospel ministry. I offer this list as an encouragement to you. Leave me a comment if I’ve left off your favorite site. I’d also like to hear what is your favorite from this list.
Top 5 Free Mp3 Libraries To Encourage Pastors
- Faith By Hearing: A website designed to collect and categorize the ever-growing availability of great Reformed and conservative evangelical audio preaching & teaching that has a high view of God and Scripture. Don’t miss their excellent graphic header. This site is constantly updating to link to all the best new Mp3 content.
- Desiring God Resource Library: Nearly every John Piper recorded sermon or message in existence can be downloaded for free. Of special note are his pastor’s conferences dating back to 1988.
- Monergism Audio and Multimedia Collection: 802 links (thousands of messages) to nearly every topic related to pastoral ministry and reformed theology.
- 9Marks Audio Interviews and (Capitol Hill Baptist Church Audio): I’ve included these two as one source. 9Marks Interviews should be required listening for all God-fearing pastors. My only complaint is they are so infrequent. From the church’s website you can listen to sermons by Mark Dever and the elders of Capitol Hill Baptist Church.
- Southern Baptist Theological Seminary Audio: We get almost all the best chapel speakers, but you will also find older conferences that are very helpful. The Institute for Christian Worship Lectures should not be overlooked. 19 lectures by Bob Kauflin on the Theology of Worship! And John Frame on Worship. When you add in Dr. Albert Mohler’s daily radio program SBTS is a solid top 5.
Honorable Mention Mp3 Libraries To Encourage Pastors
Resurgence Podcast Achieve: This one is a little harder to navigate, but it is worth the trouble. You will find audio from past Resurgence conferences by guys like Mark Driscoll and Tim Keller. You can also use their search function to find specific speakers.
The White Horse Inn: A sentimental for me. Michael Horton leads a weekly round table discussion of other like minded pastors.
Christian Audio: This is a website that sells Christian audio books, but it also offers a free audio book every month. Past titles have included The Reformed Pastor and a sermon collection by Jonathan Edwards.
CCEL Mp3: These are typically lower quality because they rely on volunteer readers. But they do offer a complete reading of the Greek New Testament as free Mp3. You will find many classic works that are otherwise unavailable in audio format.
Oneplace.com: This site offers many podcasts – both good and bad. You will find Mp3 from pastors such as John MacArthur, Alistair Begg and James MacDonald.
Said At Southern Podcasts Page: We have a page that lists more Southern Seminary related podcasts. These include weekly audio from faculty, alumni and students as they faithfully minister in their local churches.
- Reforming My Mind: A solid collection of Mp3 from Paul Schafer.
- Sermon Audio – http://www.sermonaudio.com
- Sermon Cloud – http://www.sermoncloud.com
Which collection is your favorite?
If I left off your favorite, leave a comment and let me know.
Posted By Tony Kummer